WhatsApp has an impressive 1.5 billion MAUs and is becoming more popular for marketers to try and leverage. Here are the main recommended image sizes for WhatsApp: Profile picture – Your profile should be at least 192px by 192px and can be either a JPG or PNG image. Ideally, it should be 500px by 500px.
Just when you think you’ve got all image sizes you need for your social media channels, one or more of the channels either change their pixel requirements or they add new ones to the mix.
Whether you’re in charge of social media at your small business or you’re working in a marketing agency, we put together this complete guide of all the image types and their respective sizes to keep you up to date. Oh, and if you need a fast, easy, and free way to get a correct social media post size, just check out our Free Image Resizer!
60+ social media image sizes every marketer needs to know
Best Facebook Image Size
- Story – 1080 x 1920
- Event cover – 1920 x 1080 px
- Group cover – 1640 x 859 px
- Vertical post – 1080 x 1350 px
- Profile image – 180 x 180 px
- Shared image – 1200 x 630 px
- News Feed image – 1200 x 628 px
- Ad (Link) – 1200 x 628 px
- Ad (Carousel) – 600 x 600 px
- Highlighted image – 1200 x 717 px
- Marketplace image – 1024 x 1024 px
- Facebook event image – 470 x 174 px
- Page cover (business and personal) – 820 x 312 px. When creating an image keep in mind a few things. First, remember that a profile photo will cover some of the bottom left section of the image so try to keep important design elements away from that section. Second, the maximum file size allowed for this is 100 KB so JPG could be the better route to allow for a smaller image size. However, if you have a logo or a lot of text in this image a PNG file will result in a clear upload.
Pro Tip: Facebook will automatically resize the images to fit the screen. So, if your images are too small, Facebook will expand them to fit causing blurry and pixelated images. That’s why it’s best to size images to recommended dimensions for the best resolution so that they’re always clear and Facebook will handle the rest.
No matter how you feel about Facebook, it’s still the reigning king of social media with more than 2.27 billion active users on its platform. Posting clear images is very important on Facebook as well as all of the ones on the list. Let’s face it, a blurry or pixelated image is the digital version of walking around with toilet paper on your shoe (*facepalm*). Keep in mind that as mobile devices vary in screen size and additional features like Facebook Stories are added, there are a lot of dynamic variables at play. But, we’ve listed all the current sizes that are working on the platform as of 2020.
Best Picture Size For Instagram
Here are all the image types you can create:
- Square post – 1080 x 1080 px
- Horizontal post – 1080 x 566px
- Vertical post – 1080 x 1350 px
- Story – 1080 x 1920 px. Keep in mind that the max file size is 4 gigabytes, but images are almost never that big so you shouldn’t have to worry too much.
- Photo thumbnail – 161 x 161 px. This is the smaller image size that Instagram resizes posts on your feed. However, we don’t recommend using this size for your images. Stick to the higher resolutions and let Instagram do what it needs to keep your images clear across viewing devices.
- Profile image – 110 x 110 px. These images are set to display as a circle. Keep this in mind if you’re using a logo that is square so that you can set the element in this spot without cropping out edges.
Instagram is no longer the platform of exclusively square-shaped photos. Now the social network supports horizontal photos and has new features like Stories that allow you to add videos.
Pro tip: Instagram will keep the resolution of your photo much higher if you post in the app natively. Using a third-party tool to post your content often results in them downgrading the resolution. This means you may need to take a more hands-on approach for posting content here. Test the two and see if you notice a difference. If not, your tool of choice may not be causing an issue with resolution.
Best Image Size For Twitter
- Profile image – 400 x 400 px (2 MB max file size). Like Instagram, this profile picture is cropped into a circle. Square logos used here may get their edges cropped out so you may need to create a new image with the logo that takes that into consideration.
- Header – 1500 x 500 px (5 MB max file size). Your Twitter analytics will tell you how many people visit your page directly. Considering your header image takes up so much of the top of your page, you should use it to your advantage to capture attention.
- Share image – 1200 x 675 px
- Website card – 1024 x 512 px
- In-stream photo – 440 x 220px (5 MB max file size for photos or 3 MB max file size for gifs for mobile; 15 MB if uploading from desktop to native app).
- Share-link with an image – 800 x 418 px
Twitter boasts an impressive 67 million active users every month, making it as impressive as ever. In the past couple of years, it’s undergone some UI updates so if you haven’t updated things in a while, it’s good to go back and take a look. Pro tip: Twitter allows you to upload 4 images per post to create a sort of image gallery for your tweet. Think of these images as content highlight cards.
YouTube image sizes
- Thumbnail – 1280 x 720 px
- Banner – 2560 x 1140 px
- Channel icon – 800 x 800 px
- Leaderboard – 728 x 90 px
- Rectangle – 180 x 150 px
- YouTube display ad 1 – 300 x 60 px
- YouTube display ad 2 – 300 x 250 px
- YouTube overlay ad – 468 x 60 px
- Channel art (header) – 2560 x 1440 px. YouTube channels can be viewed on large screens like a TV. So it’s good to use these dimensions to ensure your header looks good no matter what screen size it’s viewed on.
While YouTube isn’t a photo sharing site like other social media platforms, images still play an important part in the platform. And with more than a billion users on the platform, you don’t want the few images you use to leave a bad impression.
Optimal Pinterest Image Size
- Board Cover – 222 x 150 px
- Large Thumbnail – 220 x 150 px
- Small Thumbnail – 55 x 55 px
- Profile Image – 165 x 165 px
- Pinterest Pin – 800 x 1200 px. This is the standard size for pins. However, you can make your pins much longer if you choose. Some people have gone up to 800 x 2000 to help their pins stand out in the search feed.
While Facebook and Instagram may be getting all the glory these days, Pinterest is actually the fastest growing platform. Unlike other channels where users tend to act as passive observers rather than active buyers, 88% of people on Pinterest purchase products that they pin. Don’t forget that at the center of all this growth and success are the images that are constantly pinned to the site.
Don’t forget that at the center of all this growth and success are the images that are constantly pinned to the site.
LinkedIn Image Dimensions
- Share Image – 1104 x 736 px
- Linked Image – 1200 x 628 px
- Personal Cover Photo – 1584 x 396 px
- Company Banner – 646 x 220 px
- Company Cover Photo – 1536 x 768 px
- Profile Image – 400 x 400 px
- Company Hero – 1128 x 376 px
- Company Logo – 300 x 300 px
- Square Logo – 60 x 60 px
When LinkedIn first came out, it was used basically as a way to display your work experience and land a new job. While you can still do that, the platform has evolved a lot since its early years.
Today, LinkedIn is one of the best places for people to build their brands with an audience that has a more business-focused interest.
Snapchat image size
- Image Share – 1080 x 1920 px
There may be only one image size that works well on Snapchat, but with nearly 85 million users on the platform in 2018, it’s clear it’s working for them.
Beyond Social Media
The following images might not be for social media per se, but take note because they are a significant part of your online marketing effort, nonetheless.
Average blog and email image sizes
- Email Header – 600 x 200 px
- Blog Featured Image – 1200 x 600 px
- Blog Image – 750 x 750 px
Each blog and email has different standards for image sizes, but the above are the most common.
Featured images in emails are often what a third-party social media sharing tool will pull when someone tries to share your content with their networks. Plus, there are usually images throughout blog content prompting you to share too.
Google Display Network (GDN) Image Sizes
- Medium Rectangle – 300 x 250 px
- Large Rectangle – 336 x 280 px
- Leaderboard – 728 x 90 px
- Half Page – 300 x 600 px
- Banner – 468 x 60 px
- Half Banner – 300 x 400 px
- Skyscraper – 120 x 600 px
- Small Square – 200 x 200 px
- Wide Skyscraper – 160 x 600 px
PPC (Pay Per Click) plays a part in many growth-focused businesses and in most social media marketing strategies. GDN is a great way to take advantage of highly targeted websites where your audience hangs out and can play a role in your marketing plan as a whole.
WhatsApp Image Size
Here are some image sizes to keep in mind:
- Profile – 500 x 500 px
- Square post to send – 800 x 800 px
- Story to share – 750 x 1334 px
While known for its one-to-one messaging capabilities, WhatsApp’s network has some creative business applications that many people have been taking advantage of.
How do I resize an image?
There are more than 60 different image sizes across all the sites and channels we’ve listed.
Wondering how you’re going to create them all? Our awesome new tool has got you covered! Instead of trying to recreate the same image again and again for all your different platforms, this free tool allows you to resize a single image effortlessly into all of the sizes mentioned above — and more.
With a free tool like this, resizing images is now easier than ever before. Try out the Free Promo Image Resizer today!